Update: I’ve written a list of season 7 levels with some basic gameplay tips.
After a lot of play and experimentation, I finally managed to complete season 7 in Doctor Who: Legacy. I’ve noticed a lot of people having trouble getting past particular levels are are keen to move on to season 6, so I thought I’d share some of the teams I used to get past the more difficult foes.
A few things to note about this guide and what drove me to choose my teams:
- None of these teams contain any fan characters or the notoriously impossible-to-unlock River Song, so they are fairly accessible to everyone. If you’re missing some of the characters you can check out my character guide to explore how you can unlock them or who you can substitute them with.
- I like to have 4 different gem colours on my team.
- I prefer characters who can increase my HP directly instead of converting other gems to pink ones.
- I’m not a fan of characters who can increase the effectiveness of gems, they don’t really suit my style of play.
- I used other teams throughout the season, but these are the ones I had the most success with.
- Ignore the levels and stats of the characters in the screenshots, I took them when I was well into season 6.
Team 1 – Early Stages
Team: Ten, Jenny, Strax, Vastra, Rory and Porridge
After unlocking Ten and Strax, this was the team I had the most success with early in the season. I used to to get past the infamous ‘Angel levels’, (which is surprising actually, seeing as red isn’t very effective on some of the angels) and it was only around Dinosaurs on a Spaceship that I had to switch to a more ‘blue-heavy’ team.
- Ten, Strax and Rory all have HP increase abilities, enabling you to spend more time matching other colours and beating the enemy.
- Jenny can convert the ‘useless’ (in this case) blue gems to red, allowing you get awesome triple-whammy red attacks.
- Doesn’t work so well later on in the game.
Team 2 – Dinosaurs & Spoonheads
Team: Eleven, Rory, Clara, Strax, Punishment Soldier and Vastra
The dinosaurs are vulnerable to blue, so the addition of Eleven to this team is a big help. It’s also a little more balanced, so it works better in levels such as “Attack of the Season 7 Robots” that features a wider variety of monsters. I also used this team to defeat the spoonheads.
- More balanced, so it works in the ‘variety levels’
- “To the point” abilities – three characters have direct healing and three have direct attack.
- The big one here is that there’s no conversion ability – the black gems basically just build up and do nothing, and you have to match them just to get rid of them.
- Doesn’t work against enemies who are keen on converting your pink gems into black ones.
Team 3 – The Whispermen
Team: Eleven, Sam Garner, Queen Nefertiti, Clara, Vastra and Porridge
After a ton of experimentation, this is the team that finally got me past The Name of the Doctor levels. I love it – you could call it my ‘dream team’ and I still use it in season 6. Nefertiti is a fantastic character – at rank 2 she heals 800 HP. Porridge can easily be substituted for K9 if you prefer his stun ability.
- Sam Garner converts ‘useless’ green gems to blue, once again allowing you to get some great combos and do a lot of damage
- Neffy and Clara have great healing abilities at rank 2
- It also depends on how you distribute your points, but for me this team has a seriously high combined HP
- Rubbish against the spoonheads as blue is less effective against them.
Team 4 – Season 7 Finale
Team: Ten, Queen Nefertiti, Sam Garner, Vastra, Porridge, K9
The only time my ‘dream team’ didn’t work so well was the season 7 finale, but this slight variation worked a treat.
- The governess likes to use the ‘black ice’ ability to convert your pink gems to black, so two black characters and three with big healing abilities works a treat. If you’re having issues keeping your HP up you can replace Sam with a healing character, but you’ll become inundated with green gems that you can’t convert.
- None, really. I beat the level first go with this team. Just be sure to keep your combos up so you can access Ten’s ability.
I hope this guide was a help! If you have different teams you like to play with or worked out a good variation of any of mine, please share!